Monday, June 4, 2012

Pale on Pale is Not Attractive....on Me

I am sitting here laying on top of the covers of my bed praying there are no streaks.  Or weird splotches.  or areas that get "tan" more than others.  You see, I went spray tanning.  I tried it out a few weeks ago to see what kind of results I could get and they turned out pretty good for a machine blowing tanner spray up and down my body 4 times.  Since I deemed the first trip successful, I decided to come back for my bridal portrait, which is taking place tomorrow.  I am super excited to do hair and make up (who doesn't love fabulously gay make up artists who also so happen to be your frand) and a long-time hair stylist who has done your hair up 100 ways but never for a wedding.  I'm also very excited to take the photos and see how they come out.  My photographer is one of my good girl friends and she does such amazing work (check her out: www.nicolefabyphotography.com).

But right now I sit, er, lay and try to relax.  The product supposedly dries immediately and I do agree to an extent, although when you first get out of the booth you feel kind of sticky but not sticky but also kind of icky, if that helps you out at all.  You can get dressed immediately and the color starts to show in about 4 hours but it's best to wait about 10 hours before taking a shower.  Since I am so pale, I only do a level 2 color.  The girl at the salon and I were debating last time between the 2 and the 3 and I worried the 3 would be too much Snooki, and I'm glad I stuck with the lower number because the number 2 was almost a little too dark for me.  I don't want it to be super obvious but like I said, I am fair-skinned and any help making me look "sun-kissed" (and not smooched by an oompa-loompa) can only benefit the photos.

I think I said it best when my future sister-in-law texted me earlier today to ask if I was going to boot camp tonight.  "No sorry, I am going Wednesday.  I have to get spray tanned for the pictures tomorrow lol. White dress + natural outside light + pale skin = not a good look."  She laughed but I know she agreed.  You see, I am marrying an Egyptian so being pale is something completely foreign to them.  They have mega tans year round without even trying.  Meanwhile, I am over here under a SPF tent at the beach slathering on SPF 50 so I don't turn red, pink, purple or any other nasty shade of sunburn.

And let me tell you, scheduling these spray tans takes some work.  If you're going to work out, you have to work out prior and then take a shower and use a scrub to take off any dead skin cells.  They also suggest you shave before you come too, I guess so the product can go on as evenly as possible.  You then cannot shower for about 10 hours after the product is dissolved into the skin.  So I had to come home, go for a quick run, then go to the bank, go to Whole Foods, attempt to pick out flower to make a bouquet, go to Joann's to scrounge up some florist's tape, come home and attempt to put a bouquet together (I was about to seriously cry and then it was like the flower gods shined their light down on me and it came together pretty nicely), and then head over to this dang appointment.  And now I sit - I cannot get wet or work up a sweat.  This would be a fabulously lazy evening where I could eat greek yogurt with honey and sulfite-free chocolate chips but since I am attempting to look halfway decent in my dress tomorrow, I am fighting the urge.

I will try to remember to put some pictures up of the flowers.  And of my tan.  And maybe a good hair/make up pic too.

No comments:

Post a Comment