Friday, August 10, 2012

30 Day Clean Eating Challenge

If you read my posts (the maybe 1 or 2 of you out there, hi!), then you notice that I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I have been slipping a lot recently with my diet.  I say "diet" because it's easier than saying "the food I am forced to eat because of the food I cannot eat due to non-diegestion of bad-for-me food."  Again, I stress that being sulfite sensitive/intolerant means that this is a lifestyle choice and I can't flip a switch and be good or bad when I want.  Unless I want to gain 35 pounds back that I have lost in the last couple of years and start having major digestive problems again, I need to be more legit about my diet.

I have to admit, I do really well during the week for the most part.  I have breakfast and lunch down to an art, mostly because I pre-prepare my meals the night before so I can just grab and go in the morning. This saves me a lot of time and energy trying to come up with safe-for-me foods and I also don't make excuses like, "ugh I don't feel like making something" or "I don't have time."  Dinner works to my advantage about 90% of the time during the week and only about 50% of the time on the weekends.  The weekends are a little more hectic for us and we find that we normally end up grabbing something quick at least one night while we're out and about doing marital things like browsing Best Buy on a Saturday night.

I find I don't do well when I have been home all day - case in point, today. I worked from home, something I have not been in the routine of doing in almost a year.  I used to work from home about half the week but last year I changed jobs with my company and part of taking the new position meant I was now back in the office full time.  It was nice in the fact that I had structure but bad in the fact that I had to make my meals ahead of time again.  But now I am moving back to being home more often which means that I don't have to pre-make meals (yay) but I find myself home more and tempted by food.  By the way, just throwing it out there - I have no self control when it comes to food whatsoever. So in the afternoon when work kind of dies down, I find myself bored and "hungry."  Which brings me to eating weird combinations of things like almond butter, soy-free butter (which is the best/worst/best thing ever), and raw honey mixed together eaten with a spoon (it tastes like the inside of a reese peanut butter cup).  And then I have a healthy dinner and then go bananas over some more honey mixed with more soy-free butter and now agave nectar.  Hi, my name is Cassie and I have issues with sugar.

Guilt sets in and I realize that I am so much better than this.  And that my body deserves so much more than this.  I try to play mind games with my subconscious by telling me that it's "okay" for me to eat these things because it's natural sugar and not processed sugar.  Um hello, it's STILL SUGAR.  What is wrong with me???? After this war happens in my brain for about 15 minutes, I resolve to stop.  Yes, I have done this before.  Easier said that done.  But I really do need to stop.  I would love nothing more than to be seen as uber fit - a fitness model would be stretching it but I think it would be a pretty lofty goal to have to be in at least one magazine one day showing off all my hard work.  Dreams and goals make us work harder.

So here is my vow - starting on Sunday, August 12, 2012 through September 14, 2012 I will be eating clean.  No bullshit.  No deceiving.  No telling myself that raw honey and agave nectar are okay because they're natural.  And definitely no sugar. I need to bring it back to basics and really see how far I can push myself.  Here is my list of things I will be focusing on eating:

Protein: lean meats (top sirloin steak, chicken, tilapia, sea bass, swordfish, tuna), chia seeds
Healthy Complex Carbs: old fashioned oats, quinoa
Fruits and Veggies: everything I basically am allowed to eat.  I will avoid corn (mostly because I just can't have it anymore) and limit my potato intake to just sweet potatoes
Healthy Fats: almonds, avocados

This basically eliminates processed breads (which I don't really eat much of anyways), dairy (which I need to stop having, including Greek yogurt which I love but shouldn't have as much as I do), sugar (including agave nectar, raw honey), alcohol (which I don't really drink much of anyway), and processed fats (like my soy-free butter).

I encourage all of you (yes all 1 or 2 of you - seriously please comment so I can say hi) to join me, even if it's just for a week or a few days.  I would start this tomorrow but we have a birthday dinner/party planned for my husband and a few of his friends who share birthdays and yes I know I am already making excuses.  I am going to eat clean all day leading up to dinner and my goal is to eat clean at dinner.  I don't plan on drinking since I plan on DDing and I will report back on my success (or failure).

I have even set reminders on my phone every day to tell me I am doing the right thing and to keep it up.  Motivation always seems to help as does competition so you know having a friend or two to join in will do nothing but make me feel better.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment