Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Forever Looming Food Guilt: Clean Eating Challenge Day 11

I almost didn't write a blog post today but then I had dinner and went for a walk and I got to thinking.  Mind you, the walk wasn't because it was nice out (it's not super hot but boy it's super humid) or because I enjoy judging snooping on my neighbors, but because I felt guilty about something I ate with dinner and figured this could at least help process it along faster.

I keep preaching how eating clean is the way to go and I stand by that firmly because the minute that something sweet or sugary hits my lips, it's all downhill from there.  Case in point - tonight's dinner.  I had one of my stuffed peppers (recipe HERE), some roasted eggplant, and then I made a little pumpkin/oatmeal cake thing so I could have some healthy carbs.

Pumpkin/Oatmeal Cake Thing
1 teaspoon pumpkin
1/4 cup oats
1/8 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon to taste

Mix together and cook on medium heat on a non-stick pan until cooked through.

I decided I wanted something to dip in the pumpkin/oatmeal cake thing so I found some almond butter and then thought that a little raw honey would be good too.  BIG MISTAKE.  Argh - sometimes I wish my better judgement would kick in and tell me to stay away from these things.  I used conservative portions but then after, I wanted more - more almond butter mixed with honey.  So I sat there, for another 15 minutes or so taking small scoops of both, mixing together, and then eating.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???

Instantly, I felt guilty.  I'm sure you all (Tiff and my 3 lurkers - hi!) can agree with me here because who hasn't been in this position before.  And why do we beat ourselves up for it so much?  My first instinct was to go for a walk so I threw the leash on the dog and off we went for 25 minutes.  Y'all, it is GROSS outside.  But I came back feeling a little better but still not resolved.  I often wonder at what point I will stop tormenting myself over every single little pound here and there.  This morning is another example - I went up a pound from Monday.  I weighed myself Monday to see how I was doing (121.7 pounds wohoo) and then noticed i went up exactly one pound between yesterday and this morning.  I start running all the things I ate through my head wondering how that could be.  I started to beat myself up and nit pick.  But the thing is, I ate really good yesterday and had a TOUGH boot camp work out (seriously toughest ever).  But then hours later I remembered it was probably from the dentist - I went yesterday and whenever I go, I gain a pound or so, normally from the crap in the toothpaste and flourided water/filtered water they use.  For serious, I'm allergic to that shit.

Do you beat yourself up like this?  When do we draw the line and just enjoy ourselves?

Today's work out was good - 12 minutes of HIIT and then the 25 minute walk.  Here is what I did:

30 bicep curls
10 cross touch push ups (push up and then touch your left hand with your right toe, crossing to work the obliques)
20 squat overhead press
10 weighted get ups (I used a 8lb ball - hold while laying down to getting up and lift over head, then lay back down, repeat)
5 V arm squats (hold arms overhead in V position while squatting)
10 side V crunches
5 front V abs
10 tricep kick backs

Repeat 3 times.

The squat overhead press really did me in - mostly because my lower back is KILLING me after yesterday's ridiculous work out.  I couldn't even describe it if I wanted to but it was something along the lines of - 50 push ups, 30 burpees, 100 mountain climbers, 20 1-legged oblique twists, 20 cross touch push ups (full twist with butt hitting the floor), 20 1-legged donkey kicks on each leg, 50 squat overhead press with 25 pound plate, 30 tuck jumps, 20 on the toes hip thrusts, and 40 1-leg raised hip thrusts (20 each leg).  And then repeat.

Seriously.  I died.

So yeah my back hates me today.  I'm hoping it'll stretch out some for tomorrow's boot camp work out. Otherwise, I'm going to be in a lot of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment