Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself (and Your Diet)

Can we start this post with some sweaty, nasty pictures of myself? I just finished the Bodyrock.tv work out that I posted HERE and 14 minutes later, I look like this.  EEK!

So gross and sweaty

Hey those kind of look like abs...

I didn't think smiling would be appropriate here

Ok so there are a few photos.  There are more but I just wanted to point out how much a 14 (yes I said FOURTEEN) minute work out could kick my ass and I'm in pretty good shape.  Can I just say, I used to LOVE these work out shorts.  Well I still do - I love wearing them because the band is actually like sweatshirt material so it doesn't dig into my skin but taking pictures while wearing them (with no top on and just a sports bra) is a completely different story.  They do nothing for my shape.  Whomp whomp.  

Here's some more pics for you to make fun and laugh at me.



I'm Popeye the sailor man

Some side angle....not as attractive as side boob

I like my legs.
Now that's out of the way....moving on.  

I also found some pictures from this past Saturday night that I snapped before we went out so I have an outfit to show you. YAY!  Although, this one isn't as particularly snazzy as the one I posted from last week, it is one of my faves and I get a TON of compliments on the shirt (which is surprising because I really don't think it's that special).  

Also, please note how long my hair is.....and that I am getting it cut on FRIDAY!! Whoop!  I am so excited.  I have been wanting to cut my hair for months but my hair dresser threatened to disown me if I cut it prior to the wedding.  Normally, I grow my hair out in the summer and cut it in the fall.  Well, my husband and my hair dresser must have been scheming because we got engaged in the fall and my hair was super long then.  When I went to try to get it cut, my hair dresser said no way Jose and I have had to keep my hair this length since LAST OCTOBER.  AHHHHH.  It's really pretty, I will give it that but it is such a pain in the butt when I am working out and when I sleep.  I don't know about you but I get cold sweats a lot (okay like every night) and it's so gross to wake up with wet hair stuck to the back of my neck.  blech.  

Without further ado....

Dirty mirror - I cleaned it today. 

Okay I lied, I wiped it down with a clean towel...but I will clean it tomorrow!

Shirt: Splendid
White Tank (underneath): LOFT
Jeans: Citizens of Humanity
Shoes (that you can't see GRR): Navy Blue Patent Leather Tory Burch flats


Okay so finally to the topic I wanted to talk about in this post - checking yourself when it concerns your diet.  Everyone has heard the term.  Bethenny Frankel devotes a whole chapter to it on one of her books but what does that phrase mean to me?  Well, since I don't calorie count it means that sometimes I have to sit down, write down everything I am eating day-to-day (which doesn't vary much, I am a creature of habit), go on a calorie counting website, figure everything out, and make sure I am eating within my caloric range.  I found this particularly helpful when I felt like my weight was plateauing.  Most of the time there was something I was eating that was sabotaging my efforts.  For example, a few months ago I got hooked on those LARA Bars.  They're delicious.  I bought a few to keep around the house for a quick snack or when I was out and needed to eat something quickly to hold me over. Then I started buying enough to last me through the week because I was literally eating 1-2 of them a day.  Then I did one of my caloric checks and realized those little yummy bars were 250 calories EACH!  One bar!  Holy shitballs.  Yeah, I haven't had one since.  I guess I learned my lesson.  

But it just goes to show that we all make mistakes when it comes to dieting and eating and that's okay.  This is why I check my calories periodically.  I know for a fact if I tried to keep track of my calories everyday I would drive myself insane.  And I drive myself insane every day anyways so you know, it's one less thing to worry about.  Plus, I found when I did use the calorie apps, I was lying to myself about the portion size of what I was eating.  I would look something up, see how many calories it was, freak out and then try to reason with myself by saying I really didn't have THAT much.  Yeah, that doesn't really work for me.  

This is why having food goals is appealing to me.  I eat the correct portion size but focus on meeting my goals for the day.  And then every now and again, I check my calories to make sure I am somewhat on track and not eating something that is just horrible for me (I had a similar story with pine nuts).  

So my point is this - do what works best for you.  Some people are honest with themselves and do just find calorie counting via the smart phone apps.  Some people do better on a points system like Weight Watchers.  Others do better with food goals.  I cannot stress enough that you have to find what works for you.  Obviously, what most people can eat does not work for me and I stopped trying to compare myself and my diet to others a long time ago when I realized I am a special case (never mind the fact that I am just SPECIAL) and will need to take particular kind of care with myself beyond what others might have to do.  Stressing about what diet this celebrity is doing or what this friend is doing and it's working for them but OMG why isn't it working for me will get you nowhere but face down in a pint of Ben and Jerrys.  My suggestion: start slow.  Again, this is why Jackie Warners' This is Why You're Fat worked for me.  She tells you to incorporate a few changes slowly over the course of two weeks and then tweak from there.  When you go full monty right in the beginning, you have a higher chance of failing.  Miserably.  

I didn't achieve these fitness and health goals in one day - they took almost 2 years and I'm still in "progress mode."  I probably will be forever in progress mode.  Just focus on yourself and finding a way to make it work on your schedule, with your lifestyle, with your own budget, and on your own time.  And the rest just kind of falls into place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment