Sunday, August 12, 2012

Clean Eating Challenge: Day 2

You like how creative I am with titling the posts?  I'll work on that.

Day 1 went better than expected.  After the initial omg I am kind of hungry all the time feeling subsided (or I learned to block it out) it wasn't so bad.  It's been a while since I stepped away from refined and processed carbs and I forgot how quickly the body recognizes that and wants to change your mind.  I know after a few days it'll be fine.

Dinner went exactly as I had planned it to go.  I asked for my fish grilled plain and then subbed out the sides for a double order of grilled (plain) veggies and everything came out really tasty.  The only veggie I couldn't eat was cauliflower (damn you sulfites) but the restaurant did a good job giving me a giant piece of sea bass and a nice helping of veggies.  But then again for $30, I wouldn't expect any less.  I also drank water all night and avoided alcohol, which worked out well because we ended up staying out until after 1:00am and I was so tired this morning when I woke up.  I was a bit dehydrated (which is odd considering I drank water everywhere we went) and I had a bit of a headache reminding me that I could be hungover.  Then there were the cookies.  A couple of friends that we were with are friends with the sous chef at the last bar we went to and she made cookies for our friend to have as a birthday gift.  TEMPTING.  But you know, the whole clean eating thing plus the fact I can't have any of the ingredients in the recipe gave me enough reason to stay away.

Another thing I have been thinking about and am going to do is stop weighing myself.  I hear conflicting data saying that you shouldn't weight yourself because numbers could be deceiving but then on the flip side I read that you should weigh yourself regularly so you can easily identify when you are slipping up so you don't step on the scale one day and realize you've gained 20 pounds.  I weigh myself daily which is a bit compulsive (but then again that's just who I am if you haven't noticed) but I use that as a guide to determine if anything I ate caused a reaction.  Sometimes my reactions don't show up in hand swelling but they show up in weight gain.  I identify any sort of gain beyond half a pound to be flagged as a reaction, unless of course I was eating salt out of the canister or drink soy sauce (to which I really can do neither).  This is a behavior that really helped me to navigate through the early stages of my intolerance but at this point I need to stop being so dependent on it or I'll continue to drive myself crazy and overanalyze every little thing I eat.  Plus, I'm doing a clean eating challenge so I shouldn't have to worry that anything I ate would cause me to swell because I'm avoiding all the really bad-for-me foods by doing this.

So I weighed myself this morning and I'm going to try really hard to not weigh myself again until next Sunday.  I don't really know if this will happen but we will see.  I might crack halfway through the week.  But starting weight officially is 125.0 pounds.  And at this point, I am not really looking to lose anymore weight. I usually float between 123 and 126 pounds it seems like.  I am focusing more on overall health and muscle building so it's possible that at the end of this month, I might have not lost any weight at all but I will be able to see the difference.

I also am working on tweaking a new recipe.  I love pancakes and when I say love, I mean I could eat them everyday.  They are a part of the reason why I am obsessed with raw honey and agave nectar and the recipe that I found (which I scoured the internet for for years) is so adaptable that I feel like I have 1 recipe that could easily turn into 10 or so variations.

Original Healthy Pancake Recipe:

In a bowl mix, 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking power (or 1 teaspoon of baking soda), 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 1/2 cup of milk, and 2 ripe bananas.  Cook pancakes over medium heat on a skillet or griddle.

The best thing about this recipe is how versatile it is.  If you don't have bananas, no worries, just cut the milk down to about 1 cup.  When I do that, I will add cinnamon for some added flavor.  I have also substituted the bananas for about 1 cup of pureed pumpkin and then added some cinnamon as well.  AMAZING.

But as you can see above there are some things that I have cut out for my challenge so I started playing around with modifying the recipe again so I can continue to enjoy my pancakes.  I cut the initial recipe in half (which I do a lot) and went from there.

Clean Eating Healthy Pancake Recipe:

In a bowl mix, 1/2 plus 1/8 cup of old fashioned oats, 3 teaspoons of chia seeds, 1/2 cup of water, 1 banana, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  Cook pancakes over medium heat on a skillet or griddle.

I used pureed strawberries as my "syrup" and the pancakes tasted great but had a hard time sticking together while cooking.  Next time, I might eliminate out some of the water and add in a teaspoon of almond oil and see if that helps.  I could also grind up some oats into a "flour" to help with keeping the mixture together.

Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment