Monday, August 20, 2012

If You're Strong Female You Don't Need Permission - Clean Eating Challenge Day 10

- Lady Gaga

And now I'm bopping my head to the song as it plays on my iPhone. 

Did you all have a good weekend?  I did - we didn't do jack.  Friday, we stopped by my in-laws house for a little while to say hello.  Saturday, we checked out a model home in a new neighborhood.  Saturday night we met my dad out for some sushi as a belated birthday celebrating for my husband.  Sunday, I literally laid around in my pajamas and read the third Hunger Games book.  This is the second time reading the second and third book.  I think the second book is my favorite but I enjoy the end of the third book because Katniss ends up with the person I think she should end up with.  The only reason I don't like the third is because there is just SO much going on, the first time I read it I found I had a hard time keeping track and trying to visualize as I read. 

I got my hair cut Friday and I lurve it - I need to snap a picture and post it.  My hair dresser took 6 inches off!  My hair was long and now it feels SO much better. 

I have been dealing with my insurance company again since Saturday - I swear they think it's some sort of sick joke to mess with me and my health benefits.  I went to pay for a prescription (that I have paid for many times with this insurance without any issues) and suddenly the medication is $23.52 more than it was last month.  Uh, excuse me? So I do what any sane person would do, I fire off about 20 twitter rants to my insurance company.  They finally respond and send me an email.  I think they like to draw straws and unfortunately for this one girl, she's the same one I dealt with last month when I had issues.  I mean really - it's a BIRTH CONTROL PILL, how hard is this?  It's been on the market for like 12 years too so it's not like it's brand new and people are trying to figure out how much to price it out or what tier it needs to be in (and it's name brand, which my insurance accepts, and should be in the top tier k thanks).  So the rep at my insurance company said that she's following up with the pharmacy management team to see what the deal is.  I pointed out to her about 10 times how this is illegal and the insurance company can't just go in and change the cost of the medication halfway through the contracted year and that I will be following up with my health benefits group. 

Something else to mention - so Friday I made some clean pumpkin pancakes and they were delish.  Recipe is HERE and if you read my post (I know I have lurkers, please say hello) I mentioned I had a little agave nectar.  Well apparently that agave nectar threw my whole life into a tailspin and all I did Friday was eat.  I think I had about 8-9 servings of whole grains (oatmeal and/or quinoa) and possibly more because I freaked and was like, okay it's a lot I'm just going to admit defeat and call it a day.  I was casually chatting with one of my boot camp frands on Saturday and he was telling me that when a recipe he was using called for agave nectar he did some research and found that basically the body turns the agave nectar into fructose once it's in your body.  So nutritionists chalk this stuff up to be better than granulated sugar, which to an extent I'm sure it is but I started thinking that this was probably why I was hungry all day and just couldn't get content.  Because every other day I was fine.  He said I should use the raw honey instead since there's nothing in it to turn it into fructose and believe it or not, I used a very small amount of raw honey and have had no problems.  Very interesting, thought I would share.

Also, wanting to share a new recipe for when I want something sweet. 

Basically it's just 1/4 cup white quinoa, 1/4 cup red quinoa, 1 small handful of raw plain unsalted cashews, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and salt to taste.  I don't know what it is but it makes me feel like I am indulging on a small piece of pound cake.  It has to be the vanilla but I have been thoroughly enjoying this treat when I want something sweet but I don't want any sugar. 

Another thing I do that has been buzzing around the internet is banana ice cream.  I went to the dentist today and my teeth are now sore from them scraping.  I can't really take any over the counter pain stuff anymore because they're cornstarch in it (and I can't have cornstarch) so I have been sitting here suffering but I threw some chopped bananas in the freezer and I will be eating those soon.  I figure the cold bananas will help some with the pain. 

I think that is it for me - I have boot camp tonight yay!  It's only 79 out today so I'm hoping the rain will hold off and we'll be outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment